> I can mass delete the empty relations (which are not members of other
> relations) like you did with ways but I will not go and check each one
> of the 7k.  Would someone object to me deleting them?  What are other
> ideas about the origin of empty relations?

I'd say go ahead and delete those that are older than a few days (to avoid
deleting ones that are currently being edited).

If the relation is still referenced by another one (as you thought could be the
case), the delete will fail anyway, so you can't accidentally destroy something
useful.

Regards, Marc