On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Steve Hill <st...@nexusuk.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
> > Yes, and I have explained about 1.000 times that what comes out of
> Osmosis
>
> You may have explained all this on this list 1,000 times (which I very
> much doubt), but I couldn't find any of it properly documented anywhere on
> the Wiki...

If it helps, all Osmosis tasks are documented here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis/DetailedUsage

The documentation may not be comprehensive and does assume some knowledge
around how Osmosis pipelines are constructed, but it is accurate and up to
date to the best of my knowledge.

> > WILL be one single (daily or 1.73daily or 2.918daily or 0.002daily
> depending
> > on how often you call it) file.
>
> I'd wager that having Osmosis download 1440 minutely diffs and assemble
> them into a daily diff is going to take significantly more time than just
> wgetting a single daily diff.  However, I can't verify my assumption at
> the moment because I'm having to spend my time battling (and currently
> failing) to get a honking great Java application (Osmosis) to work to do
> all this.  I'm afraid this seems like a retrograde step to me, compared
> with the relative simplicity of stuffing diffs directly into osm2pgsql.

Yes, of course it will take longer to download a large number of diffs files
than to download one.  However I suspect the main overhead will be actually
importing the files into PostgreSQL itself.  Note that there are in fact
hourly files that can be used but like all new replication files they aren't
exactly time aligned which makes it harder to switch between them.
http://planet.openstreetmap.org/hour-replicate/

"Honking great Java application" is a little excessive, we're hardly talking
about installing a JEE server here.  Does this refer to the download size,
the fact that it runs on Java, or that fact that it seems hard to install.
The binary distribution is approximately 8MB, it consumes a very reasonable
amount of RAM regardless of dataset size (very approximately 50MB), and I've
gone to a lot of effort to make installation as simple as possible.
Assuming you have a working Java 1.6 runtime (which should be available out
of the box on any modern Linux distribution, and available as a simple
installer for Windows), then installing Osmosis is as simple as downloading
the latest zip file, and extracting it.  Yes, there is some setup required
to establish replication, but again I've attempted to keep all locally
maintained state simple and all exposed in text files.

I agree that it would be nice from a user perspective to have a single
application (ie. osm2pgsql) just do everything automatically but that has
downsides.  In particular it requires implementing the replication mechanism
in every tool that wishes to support it.  The Osmosis --rri has been written
to be re-usable by any tool that can consume an *.osc file.  It is well
debugged and shown itself to be reliable.  Replication is not as simple as
it might seem, there are a lot of edge cases once you start taking long
running transactions, unreliable network connections, zero server-side
state, and a large consumer base into account.

I guess a way to resolve this would be to create a shell script that wraps
all of this together, but I guess nobody has bothered up to this point.

Brett