On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Darafei Praliaskouski <m...@komzpa.net> wrote:
Hi  Darafei,
> Something similar exists.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Komap
Nice to see that.

> It is mapcss-to-mapnik and mapcss-to-kothicjs stylesheet converter. The idea
> behind it is to have a single stylesheet that can be used in JOSM, Potlatch,
> Mapnik, Kothic and a bunch of other renderers.
> There are a lot of improvements that can be done to it:
Yeah, Its also written on their project page, that it is not available
for daily use.

>  - reformat all "hacks" to some real mapcss structures, i.e. invent a nice
> syntax for dem coloring, hillshading parameters, layering model.
Is it mean that should I go for rebuilding it with following all the
coding standards and concept?

>  - add at east some support for cascading for non-cascaded renderers like
> mapnik (i.e. allow structures like:
> way{color: black; font-face: Arial}
> way[highway]{casing-width:1; color: red}
> way[highway=primary]{width:3; text:name}
> )
>  - add more rendering backends, from popular demand - maperitive, geoserver;
> probably also some mobile apps like osmand / gpsmid;
>
>  - some more crazy ideas? integrate it with some renderer (kothic js?
> maperitive?) and make a "easy map generator" software, with simple buttons
> "edit stylesheet", "publish for web", "make tiles", "make pdf for printing",
> "make svg for further editing".

That seems a nice job, but if we have to generate tiles it should be
some desktop application preferably, because I have tried to generate
tiles through web browsers and faces lot of security issues in that.

Thank You for suggestions :)

--
Parveen Arora
www.parveenarora.in