Hi! Yesterday I had a simple task: there is a rendering server, which is not to be minutely updated. So its PostgreSQL database doesn't need temporary "slim" tables. But I cannot import an extract without creating those, so basically I can import 3 times less data than possible.

The solution is obvious: I rented a huge hourly-priced droplet, installed postgresql and osm2pgsql there, imported a big OSM extract, deleted "slim" tables and transferred database contents to said rendering server.

Well, actually, being a programmer, I first spend half a day on automating this task. The script load-osm.sh has just been uploaded to https://github.com/Zverik/regional , along with instructions. Basically you would need to run it 4 times, once as root, on a clean droplet. Tested on DO's ubuntu 12 & 14, fedora 19 & 20, debian 7.

Not sure if anyone needs it, and that it hasn't been done before, but still.

IZ