On 10/13/2014 12:52 AM, Sven Geggus wrote:
I still think distributing sql updates for rendering databases in addition
to osm diffs would be a nice to have feature, because the state of the osm
database is of no interest to a rendering database.  I never tried to
implement this though.

How I'd probably implement this after the C++ branch is merged is add a new "text" backend, where instead of connecting to PostgreSQL, commands are written out to text files, and then use the new multi-backend backend, outputting to both a database and minutely text files. The database would enable regular dumps to be taken, and the sql files could be easily applied with cat text | psql -f -.

A fairly common existing solution is to use postgres replication so only one server gets the io load of updates. Of course, this currently requires also replicating the slim tables, which was one of the motivations for the multi-backend.