Ilya Zverev <i...@zverev.info> wrote:

> The solution is obvious: I rented a huge hourly-priced droplet,
> installed postgresql and osm2pgsql there, imported a big OSM extract,
> deleted "slim" tables and transferred database contents to said
> rendering server.

Jepp. I already did something like this myself. A disadvatage of the
approach is, that there is no way to dump indexes, they have to be
re-created on the target machine while running pg_restore.

Looking at the disk-space overhead needed for "slim" tables (roughly 1:2) I
also thought about a postgresql only update solution back then.

I still think distributing sql updates for rendering databases in addition
to osm diffs would be a nice to have feature, because the state of the osm
database is of no interest to a rendering database.  I never tried to
implement this though.

Regards

Sven

--
TCP/IP: telecommunication protocol for imbibing pilsners
                                     (Man-page uubp(1C) on Debian/GNU Linux)

/me is giggls@ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web