On 10/02/16 21:57, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 11:21:37 +0100
Oleksiy Muzalyev <oleksiy.muzal...@bluewin.ch> wrote:

On the other hand, I am in doubt, - perhaps, people invested a lot of
time and labor in clicking these hundreds and hundreds of nodes, to
make a nice looking map, and I am not sure if I am doing the right
thing with the tool SHIFT+Y (Simplify Way). Maybe this excessive
number of nodes is negligible for the database and rendering?
I am not sure is there real benefit from way simplification - except
extreme cases with distance between nodes that is below 1m.

Note that it is not reducing size of the main OSM database - as anyway
all old version are stored forever, so any edit will increase its size.
Certainly, I use Simplify Way only in extreme cases, and only if a geometry is not worsened. Even if I use it, I always adjust the geometry manually afterwards. Usually these are small lakes, short paths, and secondary roads. I never simplify sea or ocean coastlines.

At the last conference in New York I asked a man from UK who works with the OSM hardware why at the zoom levels 10, 11, 12 the OSM map is rendered only once a month. He replied that the rendering program must process enormous amount of data at these zoom levels.

Nowadays a lot of landuse=, natural=, etc. is being added in Ukraine, in Russia, Kazakhstan, etc. There are also a lot of landuse and natural in the USA which are not mapped yet, the same for Africa. These are very large territories, that is why I tried to pay attention to obvious over-nodding. The disks capacity and processing power are constantly growing, so sooner or later it will not be an issue for sure, the question is if they are growing fast enough. However, it seems that this my concern could be unfounded.

I assume the old versions are kept in separate tables, and they are not used for rendering.

brgds,
Oleksiy