> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Thomas Graf <tg...@noironetworks.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > We might need to move the providers into the individual vm definitions
> > when we start adding more distributions. Due to the outer is executed
> > first rule that was fixed earlier.
> Make sense.  I will make the change.

I used to be opposed to using config.vm.define block as it was simply a
single machine setup, not a multi-machine setup. Another reason I was
against it was when it is extended to a multi-flavor environment (as a
matter of fact, I am working on it right now) it would look like

 config.vm.define "fedora" do |fedora|
      fedora.vm.box = "chef/fedora-20"
 end

 config.vm.define "ubuntu" do |ubuntu|
      ubuntu.vm.box = "chef/ubuntu-13.10"
 end

which will bring up both Fedora and Ubuntu VM at the same time. This is
probably not an indented behavior in most cases.

That being said, I just found that there is a way to control which machine
to bring up in Vagrantfile by passing an argument to "vagrant up" command
(e.g. "vagrant up fedora" or "vagrant up ubuntu") and even specify the
default machine to bring up in case when no argument is passed to "vagrant
up". For example,

 config.vm.define "fedora", primary: true do |fedora|
      fedora.vm.box = "chef/fedora-20"
 end

 config.vm.define "ubuntu" do |ubuntu|
      ubuntu.vm.box = "chef/ubuntu-13.10"
 end

 then "vagrant up" will bring up just Fedora VM.

This also allows us to set up more heterogeneous environment like Fedora
and Ubuntu VM simultaneously if really desired.

Now I really like this multi-machine idea. I will pursue this direction and
post a patch soon.

BTW, do you really think we should run all these provisioning commands as
"root"? I personally prefer to execute it with "privileged: false" by
default and sudo for only commands that requires root privilege. Will you
give me more rationale behind your proposed change?

Regards,

---
Motonori Shindo