Michele,

Two thoughts:

1) For writing a controller in Knative I  recommend to choose Go instead of
Rust (even when I like Rust more).
With Go you can leverage the fantastic Operator SDK from Redhat which makes
writing controllers fairly
simple (I had my first one up and running in under an hour).
Link: https://github.com/operator-framework/operator-sdk

The getting started guide is a good starting point:
https://github.com/operator-framework/getting-started

It also addresses the lifecycle of an controller with the Lifecycle Manager:
https://github.com/operator-framework/operator-lifecycle-manager
(I have not yet used this myself)

2) I think we should clearly separate the Knative work from Openwhisk and stay
there with  a strict Scala only policy
(with the existing  exceptions).
Introducing more languages would in my opinion  lead to maintenance problems
and the waste of  build up skills.

Regards,
Martin