Hi Dominic

the preliminary work I did was already submitted as a PR to build a standalone
docker image (that is critical for my design).

The rest the work is here:  https://github.com/sciabarracom/openwhisk-ide and
uses the (upcoming) typescript runtime here
https://github.com/sciabarracom/openwhisk-runtime-typescript. But do not use it
yet as it is pretty much work in progress, no documentation nor it is even
remotely stable.

The key idea is to leverage the fact that actionloop launches a process for
each action, and I am simplying putting the process in debug mode. Then I am
using Eclipse Theia, that is vscode in a browser, https://theia-ide.org/ as an
editor and  debugger interface.

The key problem I have is to connect the action running under a debugger
(problem solved) with the debugger client. So far I am just starting the action
, asking to the action its IP and then connecting to it with the debugger.
Problem is that the action may have a different IP

I am now in the process of trying a different approach, where I communicate to
the action the IP of the IDE and ask to the action to connect back, maybe
creating a tunnel. In this way it could work in a more generic way, even with a
production whisk, as the only requirement will be to have the client (that is
itself a docker container) reachable by the action.

--
  Michele Sciabarra
  mich...@sciabarra.com