It makes me very sad that Impala has this bespoke Parquet
implementation. I never really understood the benefit of doing the
work there rather than in Apache Parquet. I never found the arguments
"why" I've heard over the years (that the implementation needed to be
tightly coupled to the Impala runtime) to be persuasive. At this point
it is probably too late to do anything about it

Thanks