If the goal of this exercise is to avoid confusion, I agree with Michah
that updating parquet.thrift is best. Here [3] is a PR to update the thrift
file to clarify that the field is not written by all writers and is not
read by many.

In my opinion any backwards incompatible changes do nothing other risk
making parquet files less compatible with the ecosystem

While removing the field is a technically more elegant solution (would make
code cleaner), it could only cause potential incompatibilities for users. I
prefer to have more complex code but a better user experience.

BTW the Rust parquet writer sets the file_offset field[1] but does not
appear to use it on read. Instead it assumes column_metadata is present[2]

Andrew

[1]:
https://github.com/apache/arrow-rs/blob/b3f06f6cc4d4f4431a1f86cfc9f30de3a1fc1a1b/parquet/src/column/writer/mod.rs#L904-L907
[2]: