I've now tested three implemenations (parquet-java, pyarrow/parquet-cpp, arrow-rs) to see what they all do. For brevity, I'll refer to the ColumnMetaData struct following the chunk data as IMD (inline metadata), and the copy in the footer as FMD (footer metadata).

parquet-java, as reported, does not write IMD at all. file_offset points to the location of the first page in the chunk. If FMD is missing, the reader throws a NPE.

pyarrow/parquet-cpp writes IMD and FMD, and sets file_offset, but the location that file_offset points to is 4 bytes of something that precedes the actual thrift serialized struct. When accounting for the added 4 bytes, the IMD can be deserialized and looks to be correct. When reading a file that lacks FMD, no exception is thrown, but the resulting table is empty.

arrow-rs writes IMD and FMD, and set file_offset correctly.  The IMD has incorrect values for dictionary_page_offset and data_page_offset...they are relative to the start of the chunk, rather than the start of the file. For a file lacking FMD, the reader throws an exception indicating that the meta_data field is not populated.

So that makes 3 implementations for which file_offset/IMD is not terribly useful.  Actually 4, because I know cudf behaves like parquet-java.

So if the consensus is to not change requiredness, then I do think then the spec and thrift need to use very strong language to the effect that file_offset is deprecated and should be ignored and will be set to 0 if IDL is not present, and that meta_data, while optional in the IDL, is in fact required by every major implementation. The diagram in the README should also be updated to indicate that the IMD is almost never correct and should be ignored by readers. Perhaps it can be removed from the diagram altogether.

Cheers,
Ed