Thank you for taking a look Micah.

On the topic of openness there are various aspects that we have considered.
1. experimentation/prototyping is more often than not faster to iterate if
it is closed. Allowing this model of development was a primary goal of the
design.
2. when the design is final, keeping the design closed should have some
drawbacks. Duplicating content to support old readers puts some natural
incentive to make extensions official because at that point one can drop
the fat from the files and move on. Another aspect of the design is the
choice of a single extension field-id which makes the extension space tiny.
This in turn means that it is difficult to interop with others without
breaking their extensions. Ergo the easiest path to any interop is to open
the extension.

The above, while not enforcing work to happen in the open, strike some
balance in between.

I am open to suggestions on how to further incentivize opening extensions.