Which fields are we talking about exactly?

On the byte size front, I see `RowGroup.total_byte_size`,
`RowGroup.total_compressed_size` but also
`ColumnMetadata.total_compressed_size` and
`ColumnMetadata.total_uncompressed_size`.

On the value count front, I see `RowGroup.num_rows` and
`ColumnChunk.num_values`.

For byte sizes, having to rechunk if they end up larger than 2^31 could
be really annoying, as the byte size is not known before encoding.

For value counts, chunking can be decided purely based on the input
data, which is better. That said, it would still be non-trivial if
repeated values are involved (for example, you would have to
recursively inspect the children of an Arrow List array to find out
whether the number of leaf values is greater than 2^31).

In the end, we are preoccupied with metadata size not becoming much
larger than with Thrift, but I don't know if we really want to go after
the smallest possible footprint?

(but if we do, I would suggest perhaps LZ4-compress the Flatbuffers
metadata :-))

Regards

Antoine.

On Wed, 28 Aug 2024 11:24:49 +0200