My experiences with GSoC were not all that positive. Therefore, I'm not
offering to be a GSoC mentor anymore. Well, maybe I should not have
taken two students at once but still, if the student isn't focused
enough, all the mentoring doesn't help.

I do have an interest in building this PDFBox GUI. I could have used a
good tool for various PDF-related tasks many times. But I don't think I
can invest enough time to take up a lead position here. I'm happy to
invest some time for the design discussion and help with some coding.

On 29.01.2010 13:07:18 Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2010/1/28  <a...@swmc.com>:
> > I like the idea.  The question is... are there are enough people willing
> > to dedicate the time to code this?
>
> I guess the original proposal was to start this effort as a Google
> Summer of Code (GSoC) project during next summer. That would give us a
> dedicated student working on the code, but we'd need to have someone
> from the PDFBox team who's ready to invest enough time and effort in
> mentoring the student through the summer.
>
> I've been a GSoC mentor a few times before, and it's quite rewarding
> especially if you have a motivated and skilled student to work with.
> However, effective mentoring does require consistent effort through
> the summer (I estimate some 2 hours per week) and unfortunately at
> least I can't promise to have enough extra cycles for that this year.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Jeremias Maerki