Am 01.05.2013 19:56, schrieb Andreas Lehmkuehler:
Hi,
Am 01.05.2013 11:55, schrieb Thomas Chojecki:
Seems that I missing some basics knowledge about maintaining branches. I only used branches for bug fix releases without merging. So I would go the way just committing it on the branch and trunk as separate commits without any merging attempts. If this is the wrong way, how do I merge the changes from
2.0.0 into the 1.8.x branch? (like the Oracle JVM error)
Also I thought that the trunk and branch would never be merged at the end, so
why doing it this way?
Let's have a look at the 1.8.1 release. When starting with the
preparation the branch contained the 1.8.0 source. I did some cherry
picking and chose some of
fixes which were done in the trunk. I merged those changes to the 1.8-branch.
Based on that code I created the 1.8.1 release.

I'm a little bit confused.
Maybe we are talking about the very same. :-) I'm using something like this:
- checkout the branch
- cd to the branch directory
- merge some changes from the trunk using "svn merge
-cREV1,REV2,REV3... https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pdfbox/trunk";
- commit the changes

Thx for that explanation. Didn't know about cherry picking in svn and it makes sense :-) This example helps a lot. So for me it makes no different merging from the branch to the trunk or vice versa. But if we mainly work on the trunk, it makes sense doing the merge from the trunk to the branch.

A 1.9 branch would only be needed if we really want to release a new version including improvements based on the current api. Are you planning to do something like that? I'd like to concentrate on the 2.0 and limit the support
for the old "version" to bugfixes and maybe smaller enhancements.

Hmm, to be honest, I would do that extra work if this would not be too
complicated applying a patch to the branch.
I was just wondering if we really need another branch. All bugfixes should go to the 1.8-branch as long as we don't want to release a new feature release.

I'm just using the wrong wording. I mean maybe setting the branch to 1.9.0-SNAPSHOT as version.
But this is just nice to have and not really necessary.

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Best regards
Thomas