Hi,

Am 01.05.2013 11:55, schrieb Thomas Chojecki:
Am 01.05.2013 11:27, schrieb Andreas Lehmkuehler:
Am 30.04.2013 20:23, schrieb Thomas Chojecki:

I will start doing first bugfixes and with the issue PDFBOX-1587 we will break
the compatibility to the older version.

So I have some question to the branches. There is only a 1.8 branch, can I work
on this one to make some bugfixes and improvements that doesn't break the API?
or is it better to set this branch to 1.9?
At present all bugfixes should be relevant for the trunk and the branch. So that
IMHO there are two possible ways to do some bugfixing:

1) Use the trunk and merge the changes to the 1.8-branch (if needed)
2) Use the 1.8-branch and merge the changes to the trunk (if needed)

I don't if one of them is better than the other?

Seems that I missing some basics knowledge about maintaining branches.
I only used branches for bug fix releases without merging. So I would go the way
just committing it on the branch and trunk as separate commits without any
merging attempts. If this is the wrong way, how do I merge the changes from
2.0.0 into the 1.8.x branch? (like the Oracle JVM error)

Also I thought that the trunk and branch would never be merged at the end, so
why doing it this way?
Let's have a look at the 1.8.1 release. When starting with the preparation the branch contained the 1.8.0 source. I did some cherry picking and chose some of
fixes which were done in the trunk. I merged those changes to the 1.8-branch.
Based on that code I created the 1.8.1 release.

I'm a little bit confused.
Maybe we are talking about the very same. :-) I'm using something like this:

- checkout the branch
- cd to the branch directory
- merge some changes from the trunk using "svn merge -cREV1,REV2,REV3... https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pdfbox/trunk";
- commit the changes

A 1.9 branch would only be needed if we really want to release a new version
including improvements based on the current api. Are you planning to do
something like that? I'd like to concentrate on the 2.0 and limit the support
for the old "version" to bugfixes and maybe smaller enhancements.

Hmm, to be honest, I would do that extra work if this would not be too
complicated applying a patch to the branch.
I was just wondering if we really need another branch. All bugfixes should go
to the 1.8-branch as long as we don't want to release a new feature release.

Jenkins is running on the trunk, right? is there a way to run it on the branch?
I've just created a build for the 1.8-branch [2]. The first build doesn't work
due to some issues with the jenkins solaris slave ...

Best regards
Thomas

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler