Am 05.01.2015 um 10:01 schrieb John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>:

>> On 4 Jan 2015, at 13:40, Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi

>>> Ok, thanks, I think I have all I need for now. Getting the git integration
>>> working should be a priority as I’m reluctant to start writing docs in git
>>> if it may never get up and running.
>>>

>> If you want to do the writeup now I'd suggest that you add the content in
>> SVN as I can guarantee a certain date until that will be available. As I
>> wrote the documentation over and above the basics is very poor and one needs
>> to inspect the sources of other projects.
>
> Ok, I’ll add content to SVN. I want to at least rework the existing 1.8
> content to apply to 2.0 and add some notes on migration from 1.8 to 2.0.
>
>> If you don't mind it would be good to have the following pattern for the
>> content
>>
>> - sections which holds user centric content (e.g. Rendering might be more
>> meaningful than PDModel)
>> - if there are multiple entries in a section a README.md and/or index.md as
>> this will play well with GitHub with an overview of the section and relative
>> links to the subentries as needed.
>
> Sounds good.
>
>>> I’m going to try to move the 1.8 information which is scattered around or
>>> website under a common section, so that we can add a 2.0/trunk section soon
>>> and begin getting docs ready.
>>
>> My plan was to have all documentation under a common section and a version
>> switch. This way we could reuse that if there is a 2.1 …. - I trust you have
>> your own ideas.
>
> Yes, we will need both sets of docs to be available. I’ve looked at a few
> different Apache projects and Tika provides what I consider to be the ideal
> solution http://tika.apache.org/ <http://tika.apache.org/> with all
> version-specific docs pages in a per-version subtree in their sidebar.

good example. My thoughts were to

a) have the navigation on top to get some extra space
b) add the documentation similar to http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/4.0.0/ if
you select Documentation in the navigation with a documentation related sidebar
for the content
c) move all documentation related content into there including Dependencies,
Building PDFBox and FAQ.
d) rename the section 'For Developers' to 'For Contributors'
e) document some of the contribution for the website in there
f) add at least the JavaDocs for fontbox, xmpbox and preflight

Maybe we do that first and then concentrate on getting the release ready (I
still have a lot to do on the AcroForms stuff) and get the pdfbox-docs
integration done afterwards.

If there are tasks I can help you with just let me know.

WDYT?

Maruan