> My current feeling is that external API should never include
> classes/interfaces which you don't "own". Re-building the API that
> already exists is pedantic, but I think it's a really good way to pay
> down the maintenance debt (whenever the next metrics library "hotness"
> takes off).

+1 to this.  I'd be very hesitant to tie ourselves too strongly to a
specific implementation, even if it is just copying an interface.

For coprocessors specifically, I think we can start with a limited API
exposing common metric types and evolve it from there.  But starting simple
seems key.

So #2 seems like the right approach to me.