Hi,

> We've now started to deploy our app as an applet using Pivot, and to address
> the new security considerations in Java 7, we needed to set the "Permissions"
> attribute in "pivot-wtk.jar" to "all-permissions".  I did this by manually
> modifying the "build.xml" in "trunk".  Doesn't seem like a good solution
> going forward.  So, anyone have a thought as to how best to resolve this?
> Should this be in "build.properties"?
yes
> Should it be set to "all-permissions" always?  Should it be set to "sandbox"
> instead?  Should it be up to users (i.e., they would have to build the code
> themselves in order to set this)?
I'd set it to "all-permissions" directly in build.properties file
(maybe with a commented line on possible values), so anyone that needs
a different value can change it and rebuild.

> Anyone know how others are addressing this in their applet code?
no, sorry ... maybe forward this mail even to users could help us to
get a better idea.

Note that in our Web Start demo files in the web site, we set the
security tag to all-permissions (inside jnlp files) to make those
requiring additional permissions work.

Anyway, these are related issues (our and at Infra) to track this:

and we should start soon to take a look (once we receive signing info)
... Roger could you ask to enable us ?

Note that if possible we could make the same even for 2.0.x ...

As a side note, on Applets and Java 8, did you tried (I fear that some
classes that we refer are are no more usable, it's already in todo
list in a related issue) ?

Bye,
Sandro