On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 1:10 AM Enrico Olivelli <eolive...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am sorry, I missed this discussion.
> But until we cut a release we are in time to change our minds, if we
> find out that we can do better.

Yes, but the precise point of having a PIP process is to have
discussions and formalize decisions.

> > It is not that the PR came out of the blue. Obviously every decision
> > can be re-visited if there are additional details, though it would be
> > better if we get the feedback at the time the proposal.
> >
> > To reiterate the rationale for going directly to 17:
> >
> >  1. Requiring Java 11 won't buy us anything new and will at the same
> > time require changes from the part of the users.
> >  2. 17 is a Java LTS release that will be out for 1 year from the
> > moment in which we release Pulsar 2.11
> >  3. It is a stable release with widely available packages for every
> > platform and from every Java vendor.
> >  4. We are setting up for 4 years of active support of Java 17,
> > compared to just 1 year of Java 11
> >  5. There are several source-level features introduced in 12+ that we
> > can take advantage of in our codebase
>
> I understand your points, and I would be really excited to start using
> Records and other features (and Valhalla, Loop and Panama as soon as
> they are available)
>
> But on the other side now in the Pulsar ecosystem we have big
> enterprises that are not keen on changing JDK so quickly.
>
> Up to version 2.10 Pulsar still worked well on JDK8.
>
> We cannot require users to switch from JDK8 to JDK17 while upgrading Pulsar.

Why not? We can ask to upgrade to Java 11 but not 17?

> We have been running, building and testing Pulsar on JDK11 for many
> major releases (from 2.7 onwards) (and the docker images in 2.10 are
> with JDK11)
> so it is time to require JDK11.

Requiring Java 11 would be pointless as there are very few Java source
level features we can take advantage of.

> I believe that the best plan, in the interest of our community and of
> the enterprises who choose to switch to Pulsar,
> is to still allow all Pulsar components to run on JDK11 (and the
> client on JDK8) for 2.11.
>
> We can switch to requiring JDK17 in 2.12.

I do not agree with this assessment and I think the best plan is to
continue with the current decision of switching to Java 17.