Hi all,

Greeting from ApacheCon North America 2022 from New Orleans!
We had a great conference with a dedicated Pulsar track. Thanks to all
presenters and everyone who attended. The talks weren't recorded, but the
slides will be later on posted on the conference website [1].

At ApacheCon there were several presentations about "the Apache way" and what
that means in practice. Based on that, we all know that no person is nominated
as the CTO of Apache Pulsar who decides on Pulsar 3.0 and when that happens.
It's us, the community, that serve that role together. We come together as
individuals with the Apache hat on. Everyone is equal in the community,
regardless of whether they are contributors, committers or PMC members.
We welcome everyone to participate. The small detail about voting shouldn't
stop anyone from participating in any aspects of the planning for the roadmap.

I'll like to get the discussions going for Pulsar 3.0. We don't need a separate
decision to start planning that. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if you have
a different opinion.

There are a few previous discussion threads that are related to Pulsar 3.0
planning.
If you are interested in getting involved with Apache Pulsar 3.0 planning, I
think that it makes sense for you to read these threads carefully and reply to
them. Please also suggest what you think makes sense.

PIP-45 related: https://lists.apache.org/thread/tvco1orf0hsyt59pjtfbwoq0vf6hfrcj
Pulsar Load balancer / namespace bundle related:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/roohoc9h2gthvmd7t81do4hfjs2gphpk
renaming topics:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/vrr75rrh4trqlp14objh3snlfvmzdrp2
backpressure: https://lists.apache.org/thread/v7xy57qfzbhopoqbm75s6ng8xlhbr2q6

Long list of Metadata inconsistency issues by Zac Bentley:
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/12555
That would be a good starting point to understanding the data inconsistency
issues related to current PIP-45 design. Perhaps those could be addressed
already before Pulsar 3.0?

I'm looking forward to everyone's participation in the Apache Pulsar 3.0
planning discussions.

Best Regards,

-Lari

1 - https://www.apachecon.com/acna2022/schedule.html