Thank you, Matteo. I agree that features should be delivered continuously when
that is possible. In this case, that might not apply.

I also agree that calling this Pulsar 3.0 isn't necessarily aligned with
PIP-175 since an LTS release is when the major version is bumped. I'm fine in
calling this "Pulsar Next Gen" or something that calls out that this is
planning for making a major leap in Pulsar.

There are several unresolved issues with PIP-45 and the Pulsar Load balancer.
The previously referred email threads contain a lot of context to this.
Resolving the issues efficiently will most likely result in breaking changes,
which will be the reason why it deserves a major version upgrade.

We have discussed it before that it's crucial to have a path to migrate users
when there are breaking changes. This should be covered in any of the solutions
that are introduced. Optimally, users of Pulsar would be able to upgrade
seamlessly to Pulsar Next Gen / Pulsar 3.0, but rolling back might not be
directly supported.

I am welcoming everyone to join this planning for the Apache Pulsar Next Gen
architecture. Please check the first email in this thread for details of
context, and start participating and contributing today. The best way to
contribute is to participate in the email threads, since they contain details
with better context.

-Lari