On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 7:02 PM Kalwit S <skalwit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know I’m not trying to be disrespectful, but it’s not respectful to be
> biased and act like an expert during the reviews, while you’ve contributed
> just for documentation PRs. When I talk about experience, I’m talking about
> reviewers who don’t contribute to the project, they ask questions to get to
> know Pulsar’s internals during the PIP, and then they give judgment based
> on their limited understanding, which is rude. Also, Pulsar may have

Since you keep questioning the contribution of various people, can I
respectfully ask what you have contributed to the project?

*Everyone* has a right to ask questions in a PR or in a PIP review. It is
actually
encouraged that non-committers/non-pmc member contribute to the project by
reviewing code
and providing feedback and different perspectives.

It is the main reason for why the proposals are discussed in such a
transparent manner

*No one* has the right to tell someone that they cannot ask questions
because "they are not qualified" in your view.

I can even cite a few examples from recent times from different users
> (PIP-337, PIP-338, PIP-332, PIP-310, etc) to illustrate how some
> improvements are simply ignored without discussion, some are without any
> conclusion, and some are not given the opportunity to be implemented, which
> could have allowed other companies to implement a customized implementation
> for their need based on plugged-in approach.

Well, I think you've chosen *very* bad examples. In none of these cases the
discussion
has been ignored. Great feedback was always provided and follow up actions
are on the person making the proposal.

* PIP-310: https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/21399
A very productive series of technical discussions was sparked by this
proposal, resulting in an alternative implementation that would satisfy the
problem described.

* PIP-332: https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/21927
The proposal also includes some code changes (while the instructions are
clear to first send and discuss a proposal). Not very clear. No tests. Some
questions were asked, no answers from the proposer.

* PIP-337: https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/22016
Very reasonable feedback was provided, it's up to the proposer to follow up
on that and eventually to close the discussion and start a vote thread.

* PIP-338: https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/22039
It looks to me this was provided very thoughtful feedback and that there
are still some action items.

> There are many examples
> (PIP-321) where it was developed by SN contributors, and while there is no
> consensus, they will still be a part of the system. Other PR examples show
> the same pattern, ignoring the needs of other companies, and merging the PR
> of SN contributors on an immediate basis.

Consensus does not equate unanimity and the acceptance is ultimately
determined by the PMC voting decision.

We can discuss for ages about a particular solution, though at some point,
a decision has to be taken to go one way or another.
No single person has veto power to stop a proposal, same as no single
person has a right to bypass the process.