> I have selected these examples from the most recent discussions and they
> may not be the best examples to fully illustrate the point.

You should respect people's time by taking the time to craft your replies
in this discussion.
>From my experience, I've been contributing a lot in recent years to
OpenTelemetry, and sometimes it takes me a few good hours, even a day to
write a good reply: I research the proposed idea, research the discussions
or issues sent to me and only then craft the reply.
I can tell you from my experience working on OpenTelemetry, that the way
you describe is practically how Open Source works - and OpenTelemetry is
the 2nd biggest project in CNCF!
* I wrote a proposal and it was ignored.
* I joined the weekly community meeting. Pitched my idea and then I had to
ping the people replying to me in that Zoom, a good few times on Slack, to
get a reply. After many days and sometimes weeks waiting between replies, I
scheduled a Zoom call with two of them to get their ideas and mine sync.
* I revised my proposal - and what do you think happened? I had to ping
them AGAIN, and yes, wait sometimes a week for a reply.

In reality, you have to constantly push your proposal, idea, and PR forward.
Today it's so much easier for me in OpenTelemetry. After so many
contributions ranging from specification changes, proposal, documentation
changes and code PRs, the feedback is much more prompt. You know why?
Personal relationship - you build it over time.

If I would act your way, I would never have gotten anything in OpenTelemtry.
Regarding the criteria for accepting a committer. Your response clearly
shows you were not part of the community these past 2 years, otherwise you
would notice the contribution I've made to Apache Pulsar. The PMC members
have noticed hence the invitation to join as committer. Feel free to browse
the mailing list archives to see it and GitHub issues/PRs/Discussions and
Slack.

I can tell you personally that one of my goals when I started reviewing
PIPs in Pulsar roughly 2 years ago, was to "raise the bar" of the quality
of Pulsar. For me, it starts with exceptional design documents. I stated it
multiple times in the mailing list, and it came to manifest itself also in
the new PIP template I proposed and is now used: One should be able to
grasp the PIP from start to bottom without any prior background knowledge.
One of the key reasons for Pulsar's biggest points for improvements is the
documentation: It's a big encyclopedia with a lot of information missing.
Same goes with architecture of the code - many are not documented. As the
person who writes the design already takes the time to research the code
quite well before writing the design, it makes sense to write it in a
concise manner in the PIP. The good PIPs have that. Since the introduction
of the template, and reviewing many PIPs and also writing a few as "show by
example" it finally reached that state in Pulsar.

Those high quality PIPs in my opinion will lead Pulsar to be of higher
quality.

By the way: can you share a personal open source contribution experience
which was vastly different from what you or I described? I personally only
experienced that or worse :)

Cheers,

Asaf