Rafael Schloming wrote:
Aidan Skinner wrote:
I'm about to head off for a week, and thought I'd give this topic a
bit of a poke with a stick before I did so there's a bit of discussion
on the topic before we're deep into M5 territory.

Traditionally, the approach to writing the .Net client has been to
transliterate the Java client by hand and slap a random API on top of
that. That seems like a bit of a waste of effort to me. I was thinking
about using IKVM to load the Java client as a library for the
AMQP-level bits and write a native C# implementations of WCF etc. that
used that.

This has the benefit of using an existing, tested client
implementation, reducing the amount of work that needs done and would
help us seperate the AMQP specific bits of the Java client out from
the JMS specific bits. It also means that the whole client is running
in managed code, which is good.

What do people think?

I definitely think this is worthy of investigation. I know nothing about IKVM, but if it works, it would be a significantly preferable to the current approach which is IMHO unsustainable.

In a discussion with the Microsoft guys, I they where thinking of using the C++ client, with WCF on top of that. They seem to have thought about that quite a bit, so it would be good to get those comments onto the list also around this topic.

Carl.