Dave,

that sounds like a great list to start on.

Carl.

David Ingham wrote:
Hi all,

Just a quick intro for the list since I've been quiet to date. I work on
messaging technologies in the Connected Systems Division at Microsoft. I've
been tracking AMQP since early 2005 when John Davies first announced its
existence at the Web Services on Wall Street Conference. In a previous life I
architected HP's JMS implementation and chunks of transaction processing and
messaging middleware for HP, Arjuna and Bluestone.

Carl's right, we have been investigating the idea of layering a WCF channel
implementation on top of the C++ client library. That is, the managed code
channel implementation would pinvoke down to the native C++ code. This is the
approach that we used for the MSMQ channel that ships in the .NET framework
today and it works pretty well. We're drawn to this approach primarily because
of the maturity of the C++ code base. The pure .NET approach clearly has merit
too; one of the key advantages being that it offers the potential to factor the
code in a way that's more in line with WCF best practice, i.e., as a set of
layered channels rather than as a monolithic block.

We're planning on putting in some effort in on this task but I think there are
a few more pressing tasks on the Windows side of the house that we'll try to
help out with first. Cliff has already commented on the build system issues; I
think it'd be great if we could get the equivalent of the make/make check
functionality that exists today on Linux up and running on Windows. As people
have already mentioned, it would be a big improvement if we can get the builds
running of the same input files so that we can avoid these sync issues that
have been causing problems recently. Then there's the packaging work that folks
have been discussing, adding DLL support and building some form of installer to
make the end-user experience as slick as possible. Does this sound like a
reasonable set of things?

Anyway, it's great to be here and I look forward to working with you all.

Cheers,

Dave.