Robert Godfrey wrote:
2009/3/20 Jonathan Robie <jonathan.ro...@redhat.com>:
James Mansion wrote:
There are lots of JMS implementations.  My own interest in AMQP is largely
driven
by it NOT being JMS - so there is a chance that my C#, Python and C++ code
can be first class citizens.  Clearly other people will have different
priorities.
Interop across languages and platforms is clearly an important design
criterion. I don't think anyone disagrees with you here.

Our Java JMS clients interoperate with clients in Python and C++. There's
clearly demand for Java JMS support. I would like to also see a Java client
that more directly reflects AMQP, as our clients in other languages do.

I must admit see no real reason for this *unless*
1) there is defined some common AMQP API that is not JMS and is
blessed by the AMQP working group, or
2) there are significant features of AMQP than cannot be comfortably
accessed through JMS or obvious extensions.

I agree that this only makes sense if we do (1). I would like to see a common set of objects and methods that are supported in all APIs, so that anyone who knows how to program Qpid in one language has a pretty good idea how to do it in another language. I think some of the differences between our Python and C++ API are gratuitous, and frustrating when I write code in both languages.

Jonathan