Hi David,

for
> > the next RC, but for now you can copy src/qpidbroker.vcproj from
the
> > qpid-0.5.tar file.
>
> I have to use Visual Studio 2005.

You are probably going to have problems... I originally started with
VS2005 ono the original port - it couldn't deal with some of the Boost
usage and I had to go up to VS2008. I don't recall if the problem area
was in client, broker, or common.

> So I resorted to manually 'downgrading' the .sln and .vproj files
> (s/10.00/9.00/ and s/9.00/8.00/) and removed the reference to
> the missing qpidbroker.vcproj at the
> same time as I'm only interested in a client build.

Ok.

> On a side note.. I need a static build for my purposes and it
> seems the static project configs went
> away with the QPID-1673 'Dynamic Library Build on Windows
> (DLL)' changes. However I was able to use
> the svn history of the client and common .vcproj files to
> generate some working static libs. So
> personally I'd be in favour of having those static build
> configs added back.

The problem is that there's a common use case that doesn't work with
the static libs. If there is a DLL that links with the static client
libs, and that DLL is dynamically loaded from a running exe, the
process will crash. The underlying problem is thread-specific storage
declared at compile time that needs the linker's help to get properly
initialized at run time.

If you don't need to do this (if you are simply building an executable
linked against the static libs) you'll be ok with just the client
side. You won't be ok with the broker side, if you end up needing it.

If you do need the client-side problem resolved, it will require
allocating TSS at run time instead of at compile time as is done now.

-Steve