First of all, we as a community needs to collectively decide what our
charter is and more importantly *HOW TO GET THERE*.
While the majority *agrees* that our charter is "promoting the
adoption of AMQP and being the premier ecosystem for AMQP", there
seems *varying degrees of disagreements* on how to get there.

Therefore we need to have that discussion. BUT lets not use that to
hold up the progress of Proton either.

Arguing for or against, whether we should do this, under the same
project, a two headed project or two separate TLP's at this point
might be a distraction for Proton.
For now we all agree that Proton is a separate body of work, and it's
in a rapid growth stage.
We all agree that it's an important piece of work. Therefore we need
to ensure we progress on Proton.
A separate mailing-list and a JIRA instance is not unreasonable.
Mailing lists can be renamed, folded, deleted ..etc.
These pieces of infrastructure doesn't necessarily define the scope,
or mean we are deciding on the above argument.
**Projects are defined by the community, not pieces of infrastructure.
We need to understand that.**

Let Proton or any other project/sub-project grow organically, and
sooner or later it will provide the answers to the above debate.
So lets not put the cart before the horse. Lets not get into an
argument over how things should be structured (yet).
Instead lets support Proton to achieve it's goal of being "The
opensource library for AMQP".
This goal is perfectly complimentary to our original Qpid charter.

In the meantime, lets continue the discussion (openly and
transparently) on how we want to achieve our charter/mission/goals.
There are several questions that we ought to decide for ourselves and
for our users/customers.
Especially as a community we need to provide some answers to our users.
(Answers to these are best discussed on a separate thread. )

1. What do we want the Qpid brand name to be associated with ? is it
AMQP in general or is it the clients/brokers ?
2. What are we going to do with our current set of brokers ? will they
be there in the future ?
3. What are we going to do with the Messaging API ?
4. What are we going to do with JMS and WCF?
5. What are we going to do with QMF ?
6. What are we going to offer as products/services going forward ?

We might not have all the answers as a lot of pieces are in flux.
But at least lets keep the discussion going to figure out what we need
to do get those answers.

Regards,

Rajith