On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Robbie Gemmell
<robbie.gemm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Part of me think that if we had a page that looked a bit bare then maybe we
> would be better about putting more stuff on it when people see it and
> wonder where the missing bits are. Hiding it away where people won't see it
> gives less incentive and also means that the stuff that already is there
> won't get used to the extent it could.

Okay, I'll split it out.

>> It would be my preference to treat trunk documentation as just another
>> kind of nightly build, with a prominent section next to other nightly
>> artifacts and a link from the documentation page.
>>

> I was thinking along the lines of 'nightly release' page(s)...such that by
> the time it comes to the point to release the component(s) it should to
> some extent effectively be a case of making a copy of what has already been
> published previously for the component(s).

Okay, that seems like a fine approach.  For what it's worth, it's a
little annoying from the scripting standpoint because you need to
conditionally link to trunk or a branch, and you need to
conditionalize other stuff as well, such as download links.  Right now
the scripts count on there being tags in svn and artifacts up on dist.

But that's not the big piece of work.  To really make a "nightly
release" look just like a numbered release, we have a fair bit of work
to do yet to automate builds.

> I might be the exception, but when I bother myself to write new docs I tend
> to want them on the site and publish them immediately.

There's no blocking problem with doing this.  The trunk docs can be
generated and pushed in a different fashion.  There's no terribly
great need to add the site nav around the trunk docs, though I agree
it would be nice once the above mentioned scripting is sorted out.

Justin