On 08/21/2013 10:43 PM, Justin Ross wrote:
On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Jimmy Jones <jimmyjon...@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
I'm not convinced, but I'm prepared to be convinced. If I put a binary
value in a map and encoded it some of the time it might be valid utf8,
other times not. Could this lead to a class of subtle bugs where a receiver
written in a statically typed language will work most of the time when
the value appears as a vbin, but not other times when it "accidentally"
appears a a str16?

"If I put a binary value in a map and encoded it some of the time it
might be valid utf8, other times not."  This shouldn't be allowed to
happen, IMO.  You meant it to be a binary value--we have to find a way
to capture and preserve that information.

I believe the point was that for an application sending binary data via the ambiguous string type (between two processes in languages that have such a type), if that was encoded on the wire as str16 (i.e. utf8) it could lead to subtle bugs.

Testing could work until the actual binary payload was changed in some way such that it was not valid utf8.

By contrast, though more likely to be an issue, sending textual data via an ambiguous string in one language to another language that does not have the ambiguity will always produce the same (if slightly unexpected and mystifying) symptoms.