> It would be nice to have a stable qa suite branch for testing River
> development and another for refactoring and developing the test suite
> itself, without interfering with the development process of River.  The
> test suite requires maintenance too, but right now it's a frightening
> prospect.

I think it's essential to sort this out. I reckon we ultimately should be
aiming at having an up-to-date/parallel developed test suite for trunk and
indeed skunk. Bad test/compile process otherwise.

But there's a catch...

>  I'd like to be able to run an experimental test suite with a stable River
> trunk to test the test suite so to speak.

I think that's wise equally I'm pondering how you cope with trunk moving on
and breaking a bunch of your tests for which there would be fixes in the
trunk test suite. Are you happy doing merges as and when or ???