I just want to extend this conversation a bit by saying that nearly everything
about River is "concurrently accessed".  There are, of course several places,
where work is done by one thread, at a time, but new threads are created to do
that work, and that means that "visibility" has to be considered.

I won't say that every single field in every class in River needs to be final
or volatile, but that should not be considered an extreme.  Specifically, you
might see code execute just fine without appropriate concurrency design, and
then it will suddenly break when a new optimization appears on the scene,
reordering something under the covers and creating an intangible behavior.
Some "visibility bugs" might not ever manifest because of other "happens
before" and "cache line sync" activities that happen implicitly based on the
"current design" or "thread model".  We can "be happy" with "it ain't broke, so
don't fix it", but I don't think that's very productive.

I personally, have been beating on various parts of Jini in my "fork" because
of completely unpredictable results in discovery and discovery management.
I've written, rewritten, debugged and stared at that code till I was blue in
the face, because my ServiceUI desktop application just doesn't behave like it
should.  Some of it is missing lifecycle management that was not in the
original services, because System.registerShutdownHook() hasn't been used.  But
other parts are these race conditions and thread scheduling overlaps (or
underlaps) which keep discovery and notification from happening reliably.
There are lots of different reasons why people might not be "complaining" about
this stuff, but I would contend that the fact that there are many examples of
people forking and extending Jini, which to me, reflects the fact that there
are things that aren't correct, or functional in the wild, and this causes them
to jump over the cliff and never look back.

We are at that point today, and Peter's continued slogging through the motions
to track down and discover where the issues actually are, is an astronomical
effort!  I have been very involved in several different, new work opportunities
that have kept me from jumping in to participate in dealing with all of these
issues, as I have really wanted to.

Gregg Wonderly