I have not seen any evidence of lack of understanding. I believe there
is a genuine lack of consensus on how to deal with some of these
ordering issues.

In particular, to what extent should River live with code that will
almost always work?

The damage from export-from-constructor with final fields comes if
another thread references the object before it is fully constructed.
Generally, the chain of instructions from the export to another thread
seeing the reference is far longer than the chain of instructions from
the export to the end of the constructor. Almost always, the constructor
will finish first and the code will work.

Personally, I would not want to depend on that, because page faults and
operating system interrupts with resource contention can stretch out a
few instructions to several milliseconds or even seconds.

However, a project like River depends on reaching consensus and that in
turn depends on discussing issues with respect for all points of view.

Patricia