Vote results in chronical order, after 72 hours:

+1 Peter Firmstone
+1 Simon IJskes
+0 Greg Trasuk

According to our rules that's one vote short for inclusion into the Jini Specification.

On this occassion there was interest in developing a more comprehensive standard for starting services, I hope container providers in the River community are able to collaborate and provide such a solution.

Unless there are any objections (by lazy concensus), I propose we use Startable for River's service implementations and also allow River users to implement it, if they so choose, so they too may use final fields safely.

Regards,