Hi all:

I thought I’d get a jump on preparing the board report for next month, so I
started looking at how the River project is doing.

If you were to get a list of the commits to River’s svn repository in the past
year or so (svn log http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/river -v -l200), you’d see
the following

- Looks like the only people committing in that time were gtrasuk (me),
peter_firmstone, jcosters, sijkes, and dreedy
- Most of my commits (gtrasuk) were against the 2.2 branch in preparation for
releases and associated documentation, and against the river-container skunk
branch, working on the River Container.
- jcosters prepared a skunk project in support of RIVER-427.
- Peter has been working on the qa_refactor branch.
- sisjkes added to a project on the skunk branch called ‘SimpleJeri’
- dreedy added the fix to Levels.java to the 2.2 branch (which gtrasuk later
merged over to the qa_refactor branch).  Also copied pom files over to the
qa_refactor branch.

A while ago, I requested help on the River Container, and was asked to move it
outside the project to GitHub.

Around the same time, Dennis offered to contribute the Rio project’s code, and
then because of community reaction, withdrew the offer.

So, assuming that Dennis and I now do most of our work outside River, the
project is left with pretty much only one active committer.

New users seem to have a difficult time adopting River for applications.  I’ve
already stated my opinion on why, and I was asked to remove my proposed
solution from River.

We haven’t added to the committers or PMC in several years.

As a result of scaring off users, I don’t think we have any potential
committers “in the pipeline”.  There are a few “old Jini guys” kicking around,
but personally I’ve hesitated to suggest adding them as committers, because
anytime we talk about Jini, the newer folks ask us to not make this a code
museum.

Although we have had some interesting discussions on the mailing list, and
suggestions for additional features in River (like object-oriented codebase
annotations), I haven’t seen a lot of suggestions that are (in my opinion)
“user-oriented” and will help drive adoption  (although I agree that the
apparent concurrency/JMM issues need to be addressed).

I continue to believe that the Jini networking approach is a valuable and
usable approach to building service oriented architectures in Java.
Nonetheless, this doesn’t look like a healthy project.  Does anyone have any
opinions on what we can do to move it forward, or is it time for the attic?
And if the River project is dead, what does that mean for Rio, Blitz
JavaSpaces, and other projects that build on top of River?  Are they active?
What happens if River is dead?

By the way, Apache doesn’t see PMC chairs as project leaders, so my role is to
facilitate discussion and ask hard questions, not set the project’s direction.
Having said that, if people feel I should be doing something different as PMC
chair, I’m willing to try anything, or even step aside if that will improve
things.

Best regards,

Greg Trasuk,
PMC Chair, Apache River.