Don't think about Maven for now. Once you build your fist test in AS3 I
will probably add there Maven too. In that case Maven is just building jar
and you can execute those jar. Executing them probably is happen through
the junit - maybe we could use flexunit ? etc.

Here is how I understand above example:
1) Maven is building jar and helping to reach our examples probably by
dependency: RoyaleStore
2) jar has been run along with tests which are using gecko driver [1]
3) Test is executed [3] -
If we let's say can write tests in node.js and use selenium functions -
that's ok cause we can wrap up all node things in AS3.

[1] https://github.com/mozilla/geckodriver
[2]
https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/blob/develop/examples/examples-integrationtests/src/test/java/org/apache/royale/examples/royalestore/RoyaleStoreIT.java

Piotr