Right now, all css files are combined into one final css file.  If you
compile App.mxml, you will get an App.css with all selectors from all SWCs
that applied to the classes in the output.  I've actually been thinking
about changing that so that if you specify a css file in an fx:Style we
copy it as-is to the output folder.  That way you could update the source
CSS and copy it over and see the changes without a recompile.

The code sure looks like if VividBlueTheme is listed in the -theme option
that the compiler would pick it up.  Did you actually look in the final
.css file?  It could be an ordering problem where some other css stomps on
the things you specified in VividBlueTheme.

Also, unzip VividBlueTheme.swc and make sure the .css files are in the SWC.

If that all looks good, post a small test case so I can look into it.

-Alex