This sounds scary to me because it affects the entire DOM, and not very PAYG.
Maybe Carlos should try it on his Jewel layouts and see if anything breaks.

Some other implementation options would be to:

-Have the x,y setters set position on the parent.  I think we used to do this
and decided to not do it anymore
-Have the x,y setters add a class selector to the parent.
-Have a bead, like we've discussed for UnselectableElement, that brings in the
selector.
-Have the layouts that allow for absolute positioning set the right styles or
selector on the parent.

My 2 cents,
-Alex