Just a comment on why this might have happened and how to deal with similar
problems.

For PAYG reasons, in the basic component set, styles aren’t changed in the
runtime automatically. That may be why it wasn’t updated originally.

Your solution is the simplest way to get around this, and it’s also in some of
our examples but there are some drawbacks. One is that it’s JS specific (non
issue for most all users right now, but not in accordance with Royale’s stated
goals), and another is that you won’t get compile time checking on the style
object.

The “purer” solution [1] is to use BindableCSSStyles and
StyleChangeNotifier. However, this wouldn’t have worked in your case because
currently BindableCSSStyles does not include zIndex.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/blob/develop/examples/royale/RoyaleStore/src/main/royale/productsView/ProductCatalogThumbnail.mxml