I am not sure whether the current work on 0.9.7 release is a dry run or a
full effort (I have not been reading all details recently, sorry). I assume
it is a full release effort.

For 0.9.6 release we had a collective rush to add things to RELEASE NOTES
before release.

I have a few things I want to add to RELEASE NOTES. But I would also like
to make sure I apply our collective learning from last time.

The issue last time (iirc) was that we pushed updates into develop branch
which I think then were being cherry picked into release branch. This I
believe contributed to some merge conflicts at some point.
Can I get a definitive answer for where I should add updates to RELEASE
NOTES at this point if it is not too late? I think it is probably supposed
to be directly into release branch which then gets merged later back into
develop, but I'd like a confirmation of that if it is correct (and not too
late), please.