From: Josh Tynjala<mailto:joshtynj...@bowlerhat.dev>
Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2021 2:40 AM
To: Apache Royale Development<mailto:dev@royale.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Hudson Nightly build as-js failure

I don't claim to be a Maven expert, but I think I understand how the
recursion is happening.

The main pom.xml has these values:

<version>0.9.8-SNAPSHOT</version>
<project.royale.compiler.version>${project.version}</project.royale.compiler.version>

And the child module distribution/jars/**/pom.xml files had this value
(these were the only poms in royale-asjs where the version was not
concrete, by the way):

<version>${project.royale.compiler.version}</version>

The parent's project.version is 0.9.8-SNAPSHOT, but project.version is
${project.royale.compiler.version} in the child modules.
When
<project.royale.compiler.version>${project.version}</project.royale.compiler.version>
is interpreted by the child module, it doesn't use the parent's
project.version. Instead, it uses its own, so it's essentially
becoming something like this:

<project.royale.compiler.version>${project.royale.compiler.version}</project.royale.compiler.version>

That's definitely recursion.

We didn't have recursion in the past because the parent pom.xml used to
have this:

<project.royale.compiler.version>0.9.8-SNAPSHOT</project.royale.compiler.version>

My original motivation for changing it to ${project.version} was because
creating a release branch left project.royale.compiler.version referencing
the old version, which put the new 0.9.9-SNAPSHOT in a bad state. Now,
${project.version} is a sensible default that keeps things updated
automatically, but anyone can also change it to a concrete version locally,
if they need to do that for any reason (either on the command line or by
modifying the main pom.xml on their computer).

--
Josh Tynjala
Bowler Hat LLC <https://bowlerhat.dev>