Hi Xiaochuan,

>> Do I need to upgrade Kafka and/or YARN?

*Yarn version:*

   - Samza 0.12 supports Yarn 2.6.1 and 2.7.1.
   - If you already have 2.6.0 installed (as you have said), I believe you
   will be fine. (but I'm not sure)

*Kafka version: *

   - Samza 0.12 upgraded the version of Kafka to 0.10.
   - If your Kafka brokers are on an older version of Kafka, you should
   upgrade them to use at-least 0.10. Kafka clients are usually
   incompatible with older versions of brokers.

*Java version: *

   - Samza 0.12 binaries are compiled using Java 8.  Hence, they cannot be
   run on older versions of the Java run-time.

>> I'm extremely new to Samza in terms of operations aspect. I'm not sure
what
information would be relevant in this case so please ask away.

I'd first start by upgrading the Kafka brokers (assuming you're on Java 8+
already).
Let us know how the migration goes!

Thanks,
Jagadish