Kohei Yoshida wrote:
Conceptually, it's a property of a part of the text, not the whole cell content.

Yes.  But since we don't differentiate partial texts from whole texts in
terms of class representation (both are represented by OUString), my
logic and yours have very little difference. :-)

We do differentiate when formats are involved. Where formats apply to part of the text, we use ScEditCell, instead of keeping our own list of formatted portions.

How many cells with ruby text will there usually be in a spreadsheet anyway?

If you're limiting to only those cells that display ruby texts, then the
number may not be that high; however, even if the cells don't display
the ruby texts within cell, they still need to store the ruby text
information in case they are referenced in the PHONETIC function,
copy-n-paste etc.  So, that covers pretty much the majority of cell
instances.

Well, only those that have the additional information. Do we want to read it from the IME, or limit it to dialog input and Excel import? Anyway, text from other sources, like database import or external clipboard, wouldn't have any ruby text to store.

Can anyone take a sample of Japanese Excel documents and check how many of the text cells have any phonetic text (visible or invisible)?

Niklas