Eike Rathke wrote:
Hi William,

On Monday, 2008-11-10 23:03:49 +0000, William S Fulton wrote:

we need to decide how to support multiline text over DDE. We could implement a number of different protocols over DDE or even OLE, this is a useful document describing the protocols Excel uses - http://forums.ni.com/ni/attachments/ni/170/113711/1/dde.doc - XlTable looks good.

Not quite. It would only support 64k rows, and strings would be limited
to 255 chars. It might be sufficient for simple transfers, and
supporting it as a reading application if a server offers it may be
better than riddling around with unformatted text. However, a protocol
internal to Calc/OOo should be slightly different.

Or maybe, simply not progress and revert to replacing newlines and tabs with spaces when DDE linking - much easier :). Any thoughts?

I'd suggest a two-step procedure: first get the multi-line correct for
all filter formats we already have and that already support it, and in
DDE replace tabs and newlines.

Then, in a second CWS, do a follow-up implementation for DDE, using
whatever format. Switching to another format for DDE would involve more
than just some changes in Calc, such as clipboard registration on
Windows. You would also want other OOo applications to support it as
well.

Two stage approach sounds good. Also as Niklas suggested, I'll replace tabs and newlines with spaces for DDE linking, for the 1st stage.

I keep half an eye out on #dev.opensource.org should anyone want to chat through the options.

You'll usually find me in #dev.openoffice.org as erAck.
bah, another brain-finger communication breakdown :)

William