>but I'm having a hard time seeing benefits over Facelets and Clay.

What I see as benefit for tiles is possibility to define another tiles.xml
config which specify what page should be displayed for different locale. So you
don't have only localized messages and text but complete web page layout event
you can serve completely different web page under the same url for different
locale.
Not sure it this is possible in clay or facelets.

Pavel