In our implementation the siteid SHOULD be unique and specific to an
instance of a gadget (I¹m still working out the details on this).  So they
won¹t be reused.  That still means appdata could be queried and user
preferences visible to others.  However I¹m working off this comment...

> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.shindig.devel/6998

> This sentence is there in the 2.0 draft version as well[2], but there is
> some draft language in the Social API spec about allowing you, when you
> create or update appdata entries, to set the groupId of the group allowed to
> see the data[3] (defaults to "@app" for backwards compatibility, setting it
> to "@self" would mean only the viewer could read it).  Don't know when/if
> that will make it in to the final version.

Which I think says, eventually opensocial 2.0 containers SHOULD restrict
visibility of appdata based on the groupid used when setting the appdata.
Am I off base here?

This means in the interim we have this gaping hole, so the gadgets we are
developing (which are really our main focus for the container, not other
gadgets) need to make sure no sensitive information is stored in user
preferences.  I figured I¹d move towards the spec instead of doing something
completely different and having to catch up with the spec.  But then again
maybe I¹m trying to overload appdata too much, but the concepts seem so
similar that I think the spec change would help converge them.

So... With that said... Is an appdata implmentation of userprefs still
something that would be useful in the default shindig implementation if
that¹s the direction things are headed?  Or does this lead one down the
wrong path and maybe a cookie base implementation (like sample container
used) is a better solution.

doug

On 7/28/11 8:41 PM, "Ryan J Baxter" <rjbax...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Doug can you explain more about how your using appdata + site id to store
> user prefs?  I tried looking below but couldn't find an explanation.  I
> realize that every gadget site has a unique gadget id, but couldn't a
> container choose to reuse a gadget site?  Say a container renders gadget 1
> in site 1.  Gadget 1 saves some user preferences using your
> implementation.  Then the container reuses site 1 to render gadget 2.  In
> theory couldn't gadget 2 now have access to gadget 1's preferences?
>
> -Ryan
>
> Email: rjbax...@us.ibm.com
> Phone: 978-899-3041
> developerWorks Profile
>

> From:   daviesd <davi...@oclc.org>
> To:     <dev@shindig.apache.org>,
> Date:   07/28/2011 11:55 AM
> Subject:        Re: Example implementation for user prefs?
>

> Jesse,
>
> I think you are correct that it should be per instance. That's where the
> siteid would come into play.  At least that's how I'm reading it (and now
> implementing it). In our case a particular gadget always renders in the
> same
> siteid.  Two instances of the same gadget would have different siteids,
> thus
> different preferences.
>
> doug

> or
>> >
>> > But if we're talking about providing a reference implementation to
> server as a
>> > sample for anyone using the common container -- that implementation
> should be
>> > saving preferences per gadget instance, right?  I believe that user
>> > preferences are supposed to be stored per user/per gadget instance
> (although I
>> > just took a quick glance through the 2.0 spec and couldn't find any
> language
>> > to support that).
>> >
>> > Can anyone confirm or deny that to actually be the case (and maybe
> provide a
>> > reference to where it's specified)?

> an
> this