Oh oh oh... You¹re not expecting GET_PREFERENCES to be asynchronous are you?

  // Try to retrieve preferences for the gadget if no preferences were
explicitly provided.
  if (this.config_[ContainerConfig.GET_PREFERENCES] &&
!renderParams[RenderParam.USER_PREFS]) {
    renderParams[RenderParam.USER_PREFS] =
      this.config_[ContainerConfig.GET_PREFERENCES](site.getId(),
gadgetUrl);
  }

Any way to work around this if I¹m calling appdata?  Or should you be using
a callback here?

doug